Thursday, June 26, 2014

Land of the Misfit Toys

All my life I've had the privilege of being one the most intriguing types of people on this earth...Physically disabled! Now, as you can see I didn't say that with any inkling of narcissism, but rather a smidge of sarcasm. It's no secret that I'm in a wheelchair I make no effort to hide it. How can I...Right? For as long as I can recall, my wheelchair was a part of me. My parents made it clear that I wasn't an invalid, the chair wasn't a contagious contraption but that it just an accessory. Though it was necessary, it wasn't there to define me in a negative or degenerative way. Unfortunately these were the ideals & beliefs of my family...Not those of society. I found out the hard way that I was "different". It wasn't until college that I truly was forced to look in the mirror & see what others saw: A wheelchair. I wasn't the first to be asked to join a discussion group when the instructor gave group assignments. In fact, I was never asked. The teacher almost always had to ask for me by making suggestions of how I'd be a wonderful asset to the group...How it would be a return of an investment. Kinda like bargaining on my behalf. I felt small, invalid & unimportant. Didn't at all feel a part of something extraordinary. I've experienced this in the workforce as well. You know....A trouble-shooting dilema comes up & everyone in the office asks each other but me...Can you imagine sitting there trying to make suggestions & someone talks over you, puts their hand up & says.."No, no it's not that".. Though I'm the only one that notices this segregation. I don't blame anyone..In fact it's just the way the world is designed...We all are guilty of associating with what's relatable to us. For instance, Typically we all have a tendency to have a "type" in terms of being in a relationship. Most times, we don't date outside this "type" because it's what is relevant & attractive to our preference. It's the same thing....When it comes to the moral values of society in this generation, we're not as progressive as we thought. So, to the able-bodied community, welcome to the Land of the Misfit Toys...:))))

After I'd gotten pregnant & I started to inflate in some very delicate areas of my body,I had realized it was the "Glow." It wasn't long before my mind started to tell me that EVERYONE knew I was with child & the looks began to pierce.  I wasn't married nor in a steady relationship so my antennas were already on edge. Half were actually staring & the other half was just my extreme paranoia. For instance my first appointment almost ended in disaster, only because I was certain the patients waiting to be seen were wondering .."Is she pregnant, but she's in a wheelchair, she couldn't be, she's just a child." Call it what you want, they were. As time persisted & my belly expanded, the looks were even more obvious. So, I'd politely say "Hello, how are you?" It was nicer than "Wtf are you staring at you asshole?!!" I figured you get more flies with honey than vinegar so I knew that from now on it was best to break down the walls of anxiety as much as possible. People were more reluctant [interested] in talking to me. Afterall, I didn't look like the average pregnant woman. I was pregnant, 3" 9', in a wheelchair & to others looked like a 12 year old...When I'm not wearing make-up :)..There was mystery, intrigue..I think a certain intensity about me that welcomed attention. I didn't want to be perceived as a freak of nature, I wanted to be viewed as a woman. Pregnancy is a blessing from God & meant to replenish the earth. It isn't a curse or abomination but a magnificent gift that I'm thankful for each day...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment